[CentOS] Samba problem

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Oct 5 19:01:00 UTC 2013

On 10/5/2013 7:31 AM, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> My real home network consists of my wife's Windows computer and multiple
> Linux desktops. I backup my computers using rsync.  For the windows
> computer I looked at Cygwin which has the rsync program but decided
> instead to map a drive letter on her computer to a Samba share.  She
> then could use the Windows backup program and backup to the Samba
> share.  Afaik, the Windows backup program mirrors the selected files on
> the backup device.  She has no need of restoring files prior to a
> certain date.

*I* setup BackupPC at work for backing up a hetereogenous development
server environment...   this runs on a beefy linux box with a big disk
farm, and 'pulls' the backups from the various target systems (a mix of
Windows, Solaris, AIX, and Linux in my case).  you can use a variety of
different protocols for the backups, including rsync, nfs...   for the
several windows servers, I use a stripped down cygwin/rsync package,
running in 'services' mode on the windows box, and pull the files via
that.   for my database servers, the backup runs a SQL script on the
target that does a database dump, then it backs up that dump file rather
than the raw datafiles.

BackupPC does incremental backups that are totally deduplicated by the
use of hard links, and compresses the individual files.   I'm backing up
something like 15 servers and VMs, and have daily incrementals going
back a couple weeks, weeklies going back a couple months, and monthlies
going back to May when I started, and the WHOLE thing is only using like
1.5TB of disk space.  wow.  I planned for up to 32TB, using a whole lot
of 3TB drives in raid60, with XFS.

BackupPC has a web interface so a user can browse their own backups and
pull back a file or directory or what from any point in time.