[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Oct 29 15:31:34 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013, Mark LaPierre wrote:

> On 10/28/2013 05:44 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>
>>> Absent other ideas, I might try re-installing CentOS or re-installing X.

I did a
yum reinstall \*
  .
gdm or something still hangs.
The gdm log suggests it is happy.

>>> After the install,
>>> I would restore the directory that listed all my repositories.
>>> This is a step I am not sure about.
>>> I have a vague recollection that that is not sufficient.
>>> What else would I need to do?
>>
>> Is there a command that I could use to record the
>> repositories I am using and restore them after the install?
>>
>>> I would use the yum listing to install everything I have now.
>>> Does this seem like a good plan?
>>

> See:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=50

Thank you, but my concern is not specific to X.
X I can easily get from install options.
I have repositories that are not listed in the install options.
My recollection is that there is more to it than restoring a yum directory.
There is a bunch of Berkely DB stuff under /var/lib/rpm .
Would restoring /etc/yum.repos.d and /var/lib/rpm/Pubkeys be sufficient
to activate all the repos from my old install?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily