[CentOS] How should I reinstall CentOS?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Oct 29 16:59:23 UTC 2013

The nesting is getting a little deep.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Actually, you could just look at /etc/yum.repos.d. In there, you can also
> check to see if the repo is enabled, or if there's includes or excludes.
> We do that here, because there are systems we do *NOT* want some things
> updated without someone doing it manually, like the ones with very old
> NVidia cards, where we have to manually rebuild the proprietary drivers,
> or production systems, where the teams want to test the updates before
> they go into production.

Maybe I was not clear.
I'm refering to reinstalling CentOS.
My current CentOS hangs after trying to start gdm.
My diagnostic efforts have been for nought,
so I want to more or less start over.
I already have a "list" of all the repositories I want.
It's the contents of the aforementioned /etc/yum/repos.d .

I could try to install every single repository by hand.
I don't remember how I installed most of them, but I could try.
I would probably succeed, but its not a certainty.
Following that, I could install all the packages by hand.
I could edit my list of installed packages and make a massive yum command.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily