[CentOS] Historical Data related to CPU,IO and Memory

Wed Oct 2 17:16:54 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> but, if you really want historical data going back months, I do think
> I'd look into something like cactii, which is built on RRDtool, which
> replaced the legacy mrtg.    This will maintain a set of web pages with
> hourly/daily/weekly/monthly stats of as many parameters as you wish to
> track going back as far as you like.

For anyone who doesn't know about rrdtool, it is the 'round robin
database' that holds time series data with long histories in a small
file fixed-size  by having a certain number of data points
representing 'recent' times where it holds the full-resolution sample
values (normally converted to a rate), and as the samples age they are
averaged into larger timespan samples so you lose granularity to save
space since you usually are more interested in the nearby times.  And
it includes tools to draw graphs out of the stored data.   OpenNMS can
either use the standard native-code rrdtool library or a pure-java
reimplementation called jrobin.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com