[CentOS] ZFS on Linux in production?

Thu Oct 24 23:39:45 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/24/2013 4:12 PM, Lists wrote:
> On 10/24/2013 02:47 PM, SilverTip257 wrote:
>> >You didn't mention XFS.
>> >Just curious if you considered it or not.
> Most definitely. There are a few features that I'm looking for:
>
> 1) MOST IMPORTANT: STABLE!

XFS is quite stable in CentOS 6.4 64bit.
there was a flakey kernel issue circa 6.2.

> 2) The ability to make the partition  bigger by adding drives with very
> minimal/no downtime.

XFS+LVM+mdraid does this, but it requires several manual steps...

I'd take the new drives, add them to a new md mirror, then add that md
device to the volume group, then lvextend the logical volume, and
finally xfs_grow the file system.  yes, thats a bunch more steps than
the zpool/zfs commands, but in fact zfs is doing much the same thing
internally.

I believe lvm also lets you replace pv's in the vg with new larger
ones.   I haven't had to do this yet.