[CentOS] Help with VMware ESXi manager for CentOS - newbie level

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 5 10:56:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 06:52:30AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 05:49:50AM -0400, zGreenfelder wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:
> >

> At one point, it would work, but not with https.  5.1 and up can have
> everything managed from the web browser--they're actually dropping the
> client, I believe, and having you do everything from the browser.  With
> CentOS, (as opposed to Fedora) one needed to add some keyboard trickery to
> get the arrow keys to work in the web console though.

Here is said trickery.  This can be added to /etc/vmware/config.

xkeymap.keycode.108 = 0x138 # Alt_R

xkeymap.keycode.106 = 0x135 # KP_Divide

xkeymap.keycode.104 = 0x11c # KP_Enter

xkeymap.keycode.111 = 0x148 # Up

xkeymap.keycode.116 = 0x150 # Down

xkeymap.keycode.113 = 0x14b # Left

xkeymap.keycode.114 = 0x14d # Right

xkeymap.keycode.105 = 0x11d # Control_R

xkeymap.keycode.118 = 0x152 # Insert

xkeymap.keycode.119 = 0x153 # Delete

xkeymap.keycode.110 = 0x147 # Home

xkeymap.keycode.115 = 0x14f # End

xkeymap.keycode.112 = 0x149 # Prior

xkeymap.keycode.117 = 0x151 # Next

xkeymap.keycode.78 = 0x46 # Scroll_Lock

xkeymap.keycode.127 = 0x100 # Pause

xkeymap.keycode.133 = 0x15b # Meta_L

xkeymap.keycode.134 = 0x15c # Meta_R

xkeymap.keycode.135 = 0x15d # Menu

Note that I haven't worked with the free version, this was paid version of
ESXi 5.1, which I _think_ is the first one that VMware says should be run
entirely from the browser, as opposed to a client.  Like another poster, it
was the one reason I kept a Windows VM at my old job, our 3.5-5.0 VMware
systems, I needed the Windows client.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6