[CentOS] Help with VMware ESXi manager for CentOS - newbie level

Jack Bailey jack at internetguy.net
Thu Sep 5 18:38:29 UTC 2013

On 09/05/13 03:56, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Note that I haven't worked with the free version, this was paid version of
> ESXi 5.1, which I_think_  is the first one that VMware says should be run
> entirely from the browser, as opposed to a client.  Like another poster, it
> was the one reason I kept a Windows VM at my old job, our 3.5-5.0 VMware
> systems, I needed the Windows client.

In order to manage ESXi from a browser, you need a vCenter Server
Appliance (SuSE or Windows), because that's what hosts the web server to
provide that functionality.  $$

If you want to use only the free stuff, you can, but you must manage
ESXi using the Windows viclient, of if you're up to it, ssh in and use
esxcli commands.  You can connect to your ESXi host with a browser and
download the viclient from the main page.

Jack