[CentOS] Qeury regarding 64GB SSD + 2tb?

Sat Sep 7 14:23:05 UTC 2013
Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand at gmail.com>

Greetings,

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you previously use a md metadata version (in Fedora) that CentOS 6.x
> doesn't support?

The system was installed by somebody else. I did not check all those details.

> So the system doesn't load CentOS at all?
> Or can't mount /home and has a fit?

Yes. See below by learnings.

> Does your system BIOS try to boot from /dev/sdc once it finds /dev/sda or
> /dev/sdb isn't bootable?
> You might just need to move cables so your SSD becomes /dev/sda.

At that time It was trying to boot from all the possible devices.

Moral of the story:
1. To play safe, use a seperate device such as the ssd or some drive
smaller than 2tb as the boot device on the older systems without UEFI.
2. Devices > 2TB should have GPT and they mount fine
3. If the boot device itself is > 2TB, Make sure that UEFI is there in
the motherboard if it is possible. Else FC17 had created a EFI
partition and I had not gone into the details. Perhaps I should study
that now.
4. Be Wary of "Server" hardware as they are conservative like centos.
The firmware changes very slowly. Esp I guess with IBM like companies
who would like to do a 5 minutes diagnostics even in x-series (perhaps
a hangover from i-series, p-series and z-series stuff). I don't blame
them as it is part of the game.

BTW, I heard that companies like IBM, HP and DELL seem require
customer quoting RHEL subscription number for obtaining  the requisite
drivers from their requisite sites. Earlier this was not the practice.
It was available free.  Is my understanding correct or is it some kind
of salestalk?

Regards,

Rajagopal