[CentOS] Qeury regarding 64GB SSD + 2tb?

Sat Sep 7 13:36:42 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan <
raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a system x3100 m4 system with 64GB SSD for OS and 2x2tb for
> data as MD device (software RAID).
>
> It had Fedora 17 with EFI/
>
> I tried to install centos 6. deleting the existing partitions on the
> SSD /dev/sdc.
>
> sda and sdb are the 2x2tb md device mounted on /home.

Did you previously use a md metadata version (in Fedora) that CentOS 6.x
doesn't support?

> no joy.

So the system doesn't load CentOS at all?
Or can't mount /home and has a fit?

More details please in what you mean by "no joy".

> googling
> Questions:
>
> 1. Where do I locate the boot loader? /dev/sdc? is MBR (the default
> with Centos) enough

Does your system BIOS try to boot from /dev/sdc once it finds /dev/sda or
/dev/sdb isn't bootable?
You might just need to move cables so your SSD becomes /dev/sda.

> 2. Is it necessary to have GPT label and EFI on /dev/sdc?
> 3. Will it affect in anyway sda and sdb (I am not choosing to format them)?
>
> any pointers with information to wrap my head around
>
> FC17 was running fine after I fsck-ed the /dev/sdc4 which had vanished
> when this box came in.
>
> To my knowlege, a root file system of size 64GB should be handled
> peacefully by centos.

Yes, the drive size isn't an issue.

> GPT comes into picture only on > 2tb partitions for different mountpoints.

Yes, GPT is necessary when partitions are >2TB.