[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Thu Sep 12 12:30:40 UTC 2013
Carl T. Miller <carl at carltm.com>

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'll try following the instructions in that document,
> as I have had no luck with the documents on www.postfix.org .

I have switched over from sendmail to postfix, and the
most difficult part was learning how simple it is to
configure postfix.  Once you get that, a quick web
search will let you know the postfix equivalent of
a sendmail setting, such as smarthost.

I'd be surprised if anything in that document is not
right.  If you find anything or you need assistance,
the list is here.

Use postconf with -d or -n to see default and non-
default configurations.  "man -a postconf" and is your
friend.  Also, check /var/log/maillog for errors after
making any configuration changes.  Some errors may not
appear for a day or two until a matching message is
received, for example with size restrictions.

> The changeover from sendmail to postfix in CentOS-6
> was probably a mistake, in my view, unless required to follow RedHat.
> At the very least proper documentation should be a pre-requisite
> for a change like this.

My two cents.  There's a good reason postfix has been
chosen to replace sendmail as the default MTA.  As with
anything new, it takes time to feel comfortable with it.