[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Fri Sep 13 14:34:13 UTC 2013
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

natxo asenjo wrote:

> I do run centos (even in my laptop) but
> my main use is professional. And frankly, I do not know anyone in my
> personal environment with a linux computer (tablets/phones don't count).

I can't parse this.
You are saying you are running centos on a laptop,
but don't know anyone running a "linux" computer.

Do you mean that all the people you know are running Windows or MacOS?
Or do you mean you don't know anyone with a laptop?

Incidentally, I'm not running CentOS on a laptop,
if that was your implication.
I run Fedora (and Windows) on all the laptops I own.

Most people I know have laptops and smart phones;
only the youngest use their smart phones for email.

> The main advantage of postfix
> above sendmail is that it is now more common. Sendmail has this
> reputation of being hard, so no one wants to start using it now. The
> pool of sendmail admins is dwindling fast.

Possibly.
I changed because CentOS-6 changed to postfix as default,
and I would generally follow the default on any system I was using.
That does not alter the fact that the changeover was more difficult
or at least more time-consuming than it should have been,
due in my opinion to bad documentation.

I don't agree with everything in
<http://stevelosh.com/blog/2013/09/teach-dont-tell/>
but I certainly think he is on the right side of the fence.

> somehow I doubt that most families will start installing a centos server
> to handle their e-mail. Everybody is happy to hand it off to gmail
> nowadays, so they just configure that.

Are they?
I would say that most people I know have misgivings about gmail.

> Most people I know are happy to get a NAS device to keep their stuff
> centrally
> and for downloading stuff from newsgroups/bittorrent. They are not in
> the least interested in a mail server. But maybe the people you know are
> :-)

Yes, we obviously live in different universes.
I don't know anyone who downloads newsgroups to a NAS device.

>>> Also, the postfix mailing list is the best place to ask postfix
>>> questions
>>
>> I did ask the same two questions on that newsgroup/mailing-list
>> and got no response.
>> As you say, it seems to be the haunt of commercial or company email
>> admins.
>
> well, yes, those are the people using postfix after all :-)
>
> I went to check what you posted there, and I can see the problem with
> myhostname:
>
> myhostname = alfred.gayleard.eu
>
> but that host does not exist:
>
> $ host alfred.gayleard.eu
> Host alfred.gayleard.eu not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
---------------------------
[tim at rose ~]$ dig gayleard.eu

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gayleard.eu.            3600    IN      A       79.51.59.112
---------------------------
[tim at alfred postfix]$ diff main.cf main.cf.orig
77d76
< myhostname = alfred.gayleard.eu
85d83
< mydomain = gayleard.eu