[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Fri Sep 13 17:01:46 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM, natxo asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact you do not understand the documentation does not mean it is
> bad.

It is pretty good evidence that swapping it as the default because
'sendmail is hard' was misguided, though.  Sendmail works and isn't
particularly hard if you stick to the sendmail.mc settings and
milters.

>The default postfix in centos does basically nothing. Because there
> is no standard setting for postfix (it is too versatile), e-mail
> administrators are expected to know what they are doing.

Everyone needs to send mail.  Lots of unix/linux programs are
configured to hand off to sendmail whether you do it personally or
not.  Postfix comes with enough sendmail emulation to accept that
mail, but then what?

> If you do not
> want to spend the time learning that, just use your isp e-mail or one of
> the free and numerous cloud e-mail providers.

Exactly.  But where is the concise how-to to make that work?

>>> somehow I doubt that most families will start installing a centos server
>>> to handle their e-mail. Everybody is happy to hand it off to gmail
>>> nowadays, so they just configure that.
>>
>> Are they?
>> I would say that most people I know have misgivings about gmail.

Misgivings?   I have misgivings about anything sent over the internet
but nothing specific against gmail.  I wouldn't try to plot a violent
revolution there, but that's not a big concern for me and they've been
more reliable than anything I could throw together at home.

> that is the host *gayleard.eu*, not *alfread.gayleard.eu* which incidentally
> was your myhostname declaration.
>
> Do you see the difference? Your host alfred.gayleard.eu does NOT exist.
> And your mx record is mail.gayleard.eu, why don't you use that in your
> myhostname declaration?

This point isn't specific to postfix - it is just the current state of
affairs that most places arbitrarily reject email if the From: address
doesn't resolve in DNS - and for a large assortment of other arbitrary
reasons.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com