[CentOS] Evergreen ILS on CentOS?

Mon Sep 16 20:37:19 UTC 2013

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> I've got two possible routes, here: a) I can try to build an older,
>> deprecated version of Evergreen, or I can try to build a newer libevent
>> and stuff - some of which, IIRC, kde wants.
>>
>> Opinions? Suggestions? And if anyone's worked with evergreen, PLEASE
>> TALK TO ME!!!
>
> I haven't worked on Evergreen, but lately I've found need to build
> some specific packages that were developed on Debian or Ubuntu based
> distros. My approach has been to create a separate /opt/foreign mount
> and then rebuild what libraries I could and place them there. It
> worked, but I wouldn't want to do it for anything big.
>
> If you have a build environment on Ubuntu, I suppose another option
> would be to statically link everything.

No - you misunderstand me. IMO, the developers of Evergreen are on it. I'm
on CentOS (this is the CentOS list, right?), and they've got stuff that
may not be on ours until 7 comes out. In the meantime... the club would
like this software up and working (well, *some* of the club...).

I've no intention of building statically. I wouldn't consider it a big
deal to build the stuff over in /usr/local/lib, say, or
/opt/evergreen/lib, and set the path in the .configure.

I'm just not sure where I need to *start* building. As I said, I'm now two
or three levels down in dependencies. I suppose you're right, and I should
build what Evergreen wants, and install it other than the default.

*sigh*

Now I just need to figure out when I can get up to Baltimore again....

Thanks. Sometimes, after spending too many hours fighting a grub that
wasn't happy, and a wifi that didn't want to give me an address, and
*then* starting on this, your brain skips over the "build it in a separate
library path".

      mark