[CentOS] Dual Boot Windows 8 & CentOS 6.4

Fri Sep 20 12:16:39 UTC 2013
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

On 9/20/2013 2:39 AM, amit joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am studying for the RHCSA Exam and wanted to install CentOS 6.4 alongside Windows 8. I got a new laptop with a processor that supports virtualization.
>
> I am planning to remove all the recovery partitions after backing up all drivers etc. on them. Lets see how it works out.
>
> Any caveats I should know about?
>
> Regards
> adj

If you have sufficient memory, I'd suggest installing VMware Player or
VirtualBox on your Windows 8 installation, and installing CentOS 6.4 as
a guest operating system on top of that.  It's less likely that you'd
accidentally corrupt your Windows 8 setup that way.  Some of the
virtualization options might come in handy as well, by letting you do
things like rolling back to a snapshot, etc., that might help you to
repeatedly try different things without risk of having to keep
reinstalling CentOS for each thing you want to try. I don't hear as much
about dual boot setups these days, likely because most people just run
both operating systems at the same time now...

-Greg