[CentOS] Dual Boot Windows 8 & CentOS 6.4

Fri Sep 20 14:42:54 UTC 2013
Amit Joshi <fan_gnr at yahoo.com>

Sorry for top posting but this windows phone doesn't let me edit replies!

I agree that virtualbox or VMware is an easier option, but the RHCSA exam objectives require me to have knowledge about KVM. I will be running multiple virtual instances of centos from within centos.

There is this EFI partition on the hard disk. Not sure what to do with it. Also its different from the good old bios, this EFI won't let my USB drive boot!

Regards,
adj

-----Original Message-----
From: "Greg Bailey" <gbailey at lxpro.com>
Sent: ‎20/‎09/‎2013 16:13
To: "CentOS mailing list" <centos at centos.org>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Dual Boot Windows 8 & CentOS 6.4

On 9/20/2013 2:39 AM, amit joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am studying for the RHCSA Exam and wanted to install CentOS 6.4 alongside Windows 8. I got a new laptop with a processor that supports virtualization.
>
> I am planning to remove all the recovery partitions after backing up all drivers etc. on them. Lets see how it works out.
>
> Any caveats I should know about?
>
> Regards
> adj

If you have sufficient memory, I'd suggest installing VMware Player or
VirtualBox on your Windows 8 installation, and installing CentOS 6.4 as
a guest operating system on top of that.  It's less likely that you'd
accidentally corrupt your Windows 8 setup that way.  Some of the
virtualization options might come in handy as well, by letting you do
things like rolling back to a snapshot, etc., that might help you to
repeatedly try different things without risk of having to keep
reinstalling CentOS for each thing you want to try. I don't hear as much
about dual boot setups these days, likely because most people just run
both operating systems at the same time now...

-Greg