[CentOS] trouble installing Math::BigInt module

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 20:27:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 3/31/2014 11:13 PM, Tom Robinson wrote:
>> I used to stick to the packages only approach but came up against more issues that way. I also spent
>> a lot of time compiling and build packages. At the end of the day, CPAN consistently built a very
>> tidy environment
>
> the problem with CPAN is its hard to maintain compatibility with
> multiple systems, each time you build it, you get something else. once
> you build a set of RPMs you can deploy them over and over, and if you
> need to update stuff, you can rebuild them with the same spec against a
> different system base.

And worse, even if you don't rebuild your CPAN packages, the packaged
versions may drift out of compatibility or decide to include
different/incompatible versions of the same module as you do the
updates you are pretty much forced to do to pick up security and bug
fixes.    Likewise, things you've installed from rpmforge may
subsequently become available from EPEL and be overwritten, possibly
with incompatible changes.   I'd try to get as much as possible from
EPEL, keep any other 3rd party repos disabled except when explicitly
specifying packages for installs/updates and document everything that
is not base/EPEL so you know where to look when things break.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com