[CentOS] trouble installing Math::BigInt module

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Tue Apr 1 22:03:51 UTC 2014

On 01/04/14 17:29, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 3/31/2014 11:13 PM, Tom Robinson wrote:
>> I used to stick to the packages only approach but came up against more issues that way. I also spent
>> a lot of time compiling and build packages. At the end of the day, CPAN consistently built a very
>> tidy environment
> the problem with CPAN is its hard to maintain compatibility with
> multiple systems, each time you build it, you get something else. once
> you build a set of RPMs you can deploy them over and over, and if you
> need to update stuff, you can rebuild them with the same spec against a
> different system base.

Clearly in Bennet's case he's done his best to use RPMs to manage the perl environment and failed.
There's a case here for using CPAN directly.

I do understand your point and agree that packaging will give you consistency. If you know what you
are doing, CPAN works well, too.

It's obvious that both approaches have pros/cons.