[CentOS] Need Python3 for C6

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Apr 25 18:01:34 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
| I need Python 3.4 (latest) on CentOS 6 for development purposes
| (teaching programming).
|
| Need advice for best method to do this. I am concerned about not
| breaking the internal plumbing of C6. I was thinking about installing
| it into /opt.
|
| I noticed  http://puias.math.ias.edu/data/puias/computational  has
| 3.3
| but I need 3.4 (asyncio module). Wondering if anyone has tried
| python3
| from puias repo ? Does it break anything?
|
| Also, found
| http://toomuchdata.com/2014/02/16/how-to-install-python-on-centos/
|
| Any advice welcome.

Outside of SCL you can also look into the modules environment packages, which allow you to temporarily override the base system dynamically.  We use this to maintain several version of libraries that do not come with the OS or are newer than those provided by the OS to build production software pipelines for various research tools.

It's a pretty nice system ;)

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.  We KEEP MOVING FORWARD, opening up new doors and doing things because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney