[CentOS] Need Python3 for C6

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:57:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Elias Persson <delreich at takeit.se> wrote:
> On 2014-04-25 19:27, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>> I need Python 3.4 (latest) on CentOS 6 for development purposes
>> (teaching programming).
>>
>> Need advice for best method to do this. I am concerned about not
>> breaking the internal plumbing of C6. I was thinking about installing
>> it into /opt.
>>
>> I noticed  http://puias.math.ias.edu/data/puias/computational  has 3.3
>> but I need 3.4 (asyncio module). Wondering if anyone has tried python3
>> from puias repo ? Does it break anything?
>>
>> Also, found http://toomuchdata.com/2014/02/16/how-to-install-python-on-centos/
>>
>> Any advice welcome.
>>

> python 3.3 is available in software collections [1].
> Works quite well, is easy enough to use.
> If you absolutely must have python 3.4, I don't know.
>
> asyncio for python33 is available on pypi [2].
> Don't know if this is exactly compatible with 3.4 though.
>
> [1] https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/
> [2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/asyncio

Thank you Elias,

SCL worked perfectly. Installed Python 3.3 then installed the asyncio
module from pypi. I was a little afraid about where the module would
be installed but it was smart enough. I simply "scl enable python33
bash" *before* building/installing the module. Now I can show my
students the very latest in asynchronous network programming.

Software Collections is a great idea. It really addresses and solves
one of the biggest issues of rhel/centos.