[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Marcelo Ricardo Leitner marcelo.leitner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 13:50:03 UTC 2014

Em 27-04-2014 01:33, Evan Rowley escreveu:
> Is anyone frustrated by Network Manager? I wish CentOS just used the basic
> configuration files like the ones on BSD-style OSes. Those are so simple in
> comparison.
>
> Each time I reboot, it seems like the configuration file I create for
> Network Manager gets destroyed and replaced with a default file. Nothing in
> the default file would actually make sense on my network, so I'm not even
> really sure how this machine is still connected to the network after a
> reboot destroys my previous configuration.
>
> The only way I seem to be able to keep my proper DNS settings is through
> the GUI interface to Network Manager. I have to enter the configuration in
> each time I reboot. At the very least, I just want to stop Network Manager
> from wiping out my perfectly fine /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> There has to be a better way.

Your report is weird because NM should be able to work with your
standard ifcfg-<interface> files, as described in
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-User_and_System_Connections.html

If you think it's NM, a 'service NetworkManager restart' probably would
reproduce the issue, and we could troubleshoot from there. If not, then
something else is removing it and NM is just putting something where it
was blank.

Nevertheless, it's going to get much better on CentOS 7. NM has been
really worked on and now includes a 'nmcli' command, for managing NM
through the console/scripts.

Marcelo