[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 30 14:32:48 UTC 2014

On 04/29/2014 03:05 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> There are two sides to this. On the one hand you want to be able to
> nail down server configurations - and probably anything that is going
> to stay wired.

Ok, I'll bite on this one.

*Why* do we want a server configuration to be nailed down?  Is it due to
a real need, or is it due to the inadequacies in the tools to allow
fully dynamic and potentially transparently load-balanced dynamic
configuration?  Or is it due to the perceived need to control things
manually instead of using effective automation?  I do say 'effective'
automation, yes, since ineffective or partially effective automation is
worse than no automation.  But one of the cornerstones of good sysadmin
practice is to automate those things that should be automated.

Dynamic DNS and/or mDNS with associated addresses deals with the need
for a static IP;  SRV records in the DNS can deal with the need for a
static name, as long as you have a domain; and something like (but
different from!) Universal PnP can deal with that.

NetworkManager (and similar automation) has application in cloud-based
things, where the server needs to be as dynamic as the device accessing
the server.  It also has application in embedded things, where you want
to plug in an appliance to a network and have its services available
regardless of the network environment (maybe no DHCP, maybe no DNS,
maybe dynamic addresses, and maybe static; it really shouldn't matter).