[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 15:56:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On 04/30/2014 11:18 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> But freenx/NX/x2go put the big picture back the way it belongs.
>
> For certain usess I agree with that; for others, not so much. Seamlessly
> pulling applications from an application server to the display server
> has its distinct advantages, particularly for certain expensive
> commercial applications.

Not sure what you mean here or how it can be seamless, since there's
no general requirement for the CPU or OS of the display to have
anything in common with the system running the application - unless
maybe it is java which doesn't need X for remoting.  On the other
hand, NX/x2go are running real X servers at the display end, so the
same things should be possible with a little variation in the plumbing
- and probably a loss of the ability to reconnect transparently.

>> If you've never used NX or x2go, try it.
> I've been using NX (both the commercial version and the free version)
> for remote telescope control use for over five years, acting as a proxy
> for Windows RDP.  Works fine.

X2go is approximately the same, just with open source clients and more
current development.   And if you've updated your Centos systems with
the EPEL repo enabled recently, you are already running their version
of the nx libs.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com