[CentOS] CentOS 6 mount of ntfs formatted usb stick fails

Fri Apr 18 14:13:15 UTC 2014
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 04/17/2014 08:08 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:

> # file -s -k /dev/sdf1
> /dev/sdf1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x76
>
> seems like the partition /dev/sdf1 contains an x86 boot sector - so what do I
> mount?? where is the data?

It's lacking a lot of the parameters I wold expect to see there, e.g.:

   # file -s -k /dev/sda1
   /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ",
sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden
sectors 2048, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)

That is from Windows 7. Is the difference due to Windows 8?  I don't know --
I don't have anything with Windows 8.  I did run across this:

http://nodehead.com/tip-of-the-day-mount-a-windows-8-ntfs-partition-for-reading-in-linux/

But, the "Fast Startup" change it describes might only apply to the Windows
8 boot partition.  You might try the suggestion to mount the partition with
an explicit "read-only" flag.

                 Do NOT delete it.