[CentOS] CentOS 6 mount of ntfs formatted usb stick fails

Sat Apr 19 08:32:58 UTC 2014
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 04/19/2014 02:13 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 04/17/2014 08:08 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>> # file -s -k /dev/sdf1
>> /dev/sdf1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x76
>>
>> seems like the partition /dev/sdf1 contains an x86 boot sector - so what do I
>> mount?? where is the data?
> It's lacking a lot of the parameters I wold expect to see there, e.g.:
>
>     # file -s -k /dev/sda1
>     /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ",
> sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden
> sectors 2048, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)
>
> That is from Windows 7. Is the difference due to Windows 8?  I don't know --
> I don't have anything with Windows 8.  I did run across this:
>

> http://nodehead.com/tip-of-the-day-mount-a-windows-8-ntfs-partition-for-reading-in-linux/
>
> But, the "Fast Startup" change it describes might only apply to the Windows
> 8 boot partition.  You might try the suggestion to mount the partition with
> an explicit "read-only" flag.
tried the mount with the -r (read only) flag - no difference.
I also have a hard drive with windoze on it and using the file command
against that I get almost exactly what you do. For some reason this usb
stick is different. When I get the opportunity I'll try it on windoze
system, write to it and unmount it properly, maybe it wasn't closed
properly by the person I got it from, and I cannot ask them, they would
have no idea what I'm talking about.
Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll update this if I get any further.