[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Tue Apr 29 19:05:24 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> This may be fine for users that don't know what they are doing or don't have a stable networking environment,
> but I have found for me it causes nothing but heartache. The first thing I do is disable it.
>
> The sad part is that it makes us not understand what is really happening with our systems and when something doesn't work
> we have no idea where to look.
>
> I have been using UNIX/BSD/Linux since the mid eighties and hate where things appear to be going - looking more and more
> like Windows.

There are two sides to this.  On the one hand you want to be able to
nail down server configurations - and probably anything that is going
to stay wired.  On the other, you can't possibly have liked what you
had to do to add a new network (or any other) device to a BSD system
in the 80's and it is kind of nice to plug in a usb device and have it
come up working without a reboot.  I think the real issue is that the
way to nail things down either hasn't stabilized or isn't well
documented.   For example, I think there are ways to tell NM not to
mess with a specific interface setting, and maybe a way to say you
don't want it to screw up your resolv.conf file, but can you tell it
that adding a USB device and picking up a dchp address is OK, but you
don't want to change your default route just because dhcp offers it?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com