[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Tue Apr 29 19:40:31 UTC 2014
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On 4/29/2014 13:05, Les Mikesell wrote:
> can you tell it
> that adding a USB device and picking up a dchp address is OK, but you
> don't want to change your default route just because dhcp offers it?

Mixed DHCP and static IP configurations is a very useful but often
neglected combination. [1]

Every OS I've used requires some hacking around to make it work as
desired.  The only reason Linux is easiest of the bunch is because it
has a history of letting you turn off the automation, so you can prevent
it from doing undesired things.

Windows is far worse than CentOS in this regard, NM or no. [2]

---

[1] A machine might need to accept a random DHCP IP in 192.168.0.x to be
allowed through the LAN's restrictive Internet gateway but also need to
have static IP 172.16.17.1 to serve a set of Internet-disconnected boxes
in that same /24 scheme.  This is easy with all modern OSes if you have
two NICs and two Ethernet connections back to the nearest switch.  Not
so easy when both purposes must be served by a single NIC.

[2] http://superuser.com/q/679134/14927