[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 15:01:17 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-04-30, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I don't mind NM editing resolv.conf if it knows
> - or even thinks it knows - how to improve
> on the current settings, but what I don't understand
> is why it occasionally deletes the current settings
> without substituting anything else.
> I can't imagine any situation where this would help?
> Maybe the present settings are defective in some way;
> but no settings cannot possibly be better.

No settings might be better.  If I take my laptop from one site to
another, keeping my previous resolv.conf intact, and NM doesn't remove
it, then my laptop will try to query the previous site's DNS.  They may
not like that; depending on how paranoid they are, they may even take
measures to block my traffic.  Even if not, I may see some really
bizarre DNS behavior which could be difficult to troubleshoot, whereas
having no DNS at all will be very obvious very quickly.

I don't use NetworkManager, so I don't know the answer to this question:
is there a way to tell it not to clobber portions of your network
configuration, and/or to provide it with defaults if it can't determine
values for a particular option?  That seems like the most logical way to
handle this scenario.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us