[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 16:12:41 UTC 2014
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 04/30/2014 11:39 AM, Zube wrote:
> I find this common argument execrable.  It seems to suggest that if
> I don't accept and embrace the new things that you do, I'm somehow a
> Luddite or my thinking is backwards.

That's not what I think, nor is it what I said.  Being unwilling to even
try something new is being a Luddite; going back to the old because the
new isn't working is not being a Luddite.  Being unwilling to try a
newer version of something that didn't work previously is also being a
Luddite.  Isn't there a middle ground between 'love it' and 'hate it?'
I *am* a big fan of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' but the old way for
some use cases is indeed broken.

But the simple fact is that NetworkManager is with us for a long time
coming.  You don't have to use it if you don't need it's particular
strengths, or if its particular weaknesses get in the way, but it is
there and will be there for at least ten years.  Like any other piece of
software it has its advantages and disadvantages; use what fits for your
situation.

While this paragraph started life being tagged as a snide remark,
perhaps it's not; it's certainly not meant to be snide this time.  I
don't see too many automobiles with tillers these days, nor do I see
many first-generation steering wheels. But I see lots of 'double
tillers' all the time (as handlebars are in essence double tillers).
The double tiller works marvellously well for the motorcycle use case;
can you imagine a motorcycle with a steering wheel (they may exist, but
I've not personally seen one)?

> Is all your money in bitcoins
> yet?

None of my money is in bitcoin, although I've wondered if the EPIC VLIW
architecture of the IA-64 wouldn't be ideal for mining purposes.

> I run CentOS because I want stability.

As do I, for that particular meaning of 'stability.'  And I have C5
machines in production, and they'll be in production until end of
support.  Heh, I still have a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine in (not
connected to the Internet) production.

> In the aggregate, how much time will be wasted by admins getting this
> to work when 7 comes out?

Is learning a different way of doing things always a waste of time? But
then again, I've always enjoyed learning new things, and learning new
ways to use old things (after all, I'm in the process of rebuilding a
TRS-80 Model 4P with a new hard disk interface that uses SD cards simply
because I find it to be fun).  That is one reason I have the job that I
do; learning new ways of using old things is part of my official job
description, although not in those exact words.