[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 16:40:37 UTC 2014
Zube <Zube at stat.colostate.edu>

On Wed Apr 30 12:12:41 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> That's not what I think, nor is it what I said.

Quote 1:

> Back in the late 1800's people who had used tillers to steer their
> horseless carriages probably though the same thing about this new fancy
> gizmo called a steering wheel.  And automatic transmissions? Heresy!

Quote 2:

> I really try hard to not be snide or offend very often, but the idea
> that something needs to stay a certain way either just because it's
> always been that way or because we can't do it the way someone else who
> we don't like has done it deserves a bit of a reality check, really.
> Or do we want to go back to the Way It Was Done before this pun called
> Unix launched?  I've run ITS on an emulated DECsystem 10 in SIMH;
> I'm glad a better way was developed.

I dunno.  "Heresy!"  "reality check, really."  Sure seems to be the
case to me.  You certainly aren't praising people who don't embrace
the change you do.  I'll drop it and let others decide.

> Being unwilling to even
> try something new is being a Luddite; going back to the old because the
> new isn't working is not being a Luddite.  Being unwilling to try a
> newer version of something that didn't work previously is also being a
> Luddite.  Isn't there a middle ground between 'love it' and 'hate it?'

Yes, of course.

> I *am* a big fan of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' but the old way for
> some use cases is indeed broken.

Sure.  Given that I have no need of NM, what part is broken that NM
fixes for me?  Or do the "some use cases" not apply to anyone who
uses CentOS on static IP desktops?

[snippity]

> Is learning a different way of doing things always a waste of time?

Of course not, but alas, my time is limited.  If I had nothing else
to occupy my time, changes such as these would not trouble me so.
What is very expensive, from an opportunity cost standpoint, is to
have to learn to do something in a new way that does not bring me
any new benefit.  Perhaps I'm mistaken about this (goodness knows
"mistake maker" is etched on the business cards I don't have), but
whenever new, more complex things replace simple things "for my own
good", I know that I'll be spending a chunk of time that I could have
spent in more fruitful pursuits.

Cheers,
Zube