[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Wed Apr 30 16:54:34 UTC 2014
Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com>

On 04/30/2014 11:22 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 04/30/2014 10:41 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Define "stable". please.
> I define stable in this context as 'behaving in a completely consistent
> and predictable fashion.'
>
>> I have servers (and I really, REALLY want to
>> reboot them, but they're home directory or project servers, and so it's
>> really hard to get to do that, since people have jobs that run for days or
>> weeks, that have run flawlessly for > 300 days, with nothing vaguely
>> significant problems.
> Truly stable systems allow rolling reboots with no interruption of
> services.  EMC and others have had this licked for years with their
> storage arrays; Tandem had it solved for CPU's and RAM inside a single
> system image, back in the 80's (and even though it was a bit, ah,
> interestingly implemented).  Truly stable system remain stable even when
> their parts are unstable.  A truly stable system will be stable even
> when every one of the constituent parts are inherently unstable.  And a
> truly stable system is hard to make.
>
>> That's a complete misrepresentation of the other side of [the always
>> disable SELinux] argument.
> I said it reminds me of it, not that it's identical to it.
>
>> I'm not a huge fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but fixing
>> something that, 90% of the time, is no big deal to configure and run,
>> with layers of complexity that have created both new issues, and
>> broken things that are set up in a given way for a reason, does not
>> endear it to me.
> Reliable and highly available networking using the the traditional Linux
> networking way is broken for many use cases, not all of which are
> desktop-oriented.  It is broken, and it needs fixing, for those cases.
> And I *am* a fan of 'it it ain't broke don't fix it.'
>
>> *Configuring* *Nix [the Windows] way *is* a Bad Thing.
> A Bad Thing is not a capital crime, and Windows does do some things
> right, as much as I don't like saying that.
What I meant about Windows is everything seems to be hidden behind some gui interface, which
leads people to not really understand the underpinnings of what is truly happening. NM seems akin
to this, at least the last time I tried to use several years ago.

I work in a development environment where we are constantly adding and removing systems and connections
and for me it just gets in the way. I can quickly type ip a a ..., ip r a ... and be done with it.