[CentOS] Java plugin (icedtea-web) does not load

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Aug 19 13:12:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, August 18, 2014 09:05, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Mon, August 18, 2014 5:50 am, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>> This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain
>> proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally
>> privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the
>> intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
>> please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any
>> attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
>> use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in
>> any way except as permitted by the author.
>
> I'm sorry if that offends anyone, the the BS nature of e-mail footers like
> this one always offends my intelligence. As a recipient of e-mail I didn't
> give my consent to be obliged to anything. whatever you sent me was at
> your sole discretion. You want any obligations from the recipient of your
> message, you should contact the recipient first and get him agree to be
> obliged to anything you request.
>
> Who is the idiot lawyer who wrote it? He shouldn't even have layer degree
> for incompetence! Even I, not lawyer, do understand that you can not make
> the person obliged to do or not do anything by unilaterally doing
> something (sending that person e-mail with idiotic footer).

You mean like forcing someone to agree to the terms of a license through the
act opening the package that contains the text of said license?  You would be
amazed as what corporate interests have twisted the courts into doing for them
through sponsored legislation (DMCA for example).

I agree about the BS part but that does not make it unenforceable BS in some
jurisdictions.  And then there is always the threat of impoverishment through
litigation.  A big enough complainant can simply litigate frivolous torts to
impose an economic penalty on its victim regardless of the outcome.  Those
sorts of disclaimers simple provide a pretext.

I just delete messages with such things; unread whenever I notice them in
time, otherwise ignoring the contents if I do not.

Canada  L8E 3C3