[CentOS] Java plugin (icedtea-web) does not load

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Tue Aug 19 13:31:50 UTC 2014

On 19/08/14 14:57, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2014-08-18, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:

>>> Does the file /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so exist, and does
>>> it link (indirectly) to /usr/lib64/IcedTeaPlugin.so? You can check using
>>> the following command:
>>>
>>> 	readlink -e /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so
>> I forgot to tell, I checked all "obvious" things like that. And yes, the
>> file points where it should.
>>
>> - Toralf
>>
> All I can think of is to run 'rpm -V' on the packages which own the
> above files, and also look for clues in ~/.xsession-errors and
> /var/log/messages upon starting firefox. I'm sure if those suggestions
> are obvious. :-)
Well, I guess the "obvious" was mainly verifying that the file was
actually there :-)

The log files you mention didn't offer a clue about what was going on,
but another file did - pluginreg.dat in the profile directory. It
actually had

[INVALID]
/usr/lib64/IcedTeaPlugin.so:$
1385126043000:$

I then remove the file and restarted, and now everything is back on
track :-)

I now remember doing this for other plugins in the past, but I'd quite
forgotten that there even was such a file until I was reminded by a web
search...

Another question is why the plugin was considered "invalid" in the first
place, of course. Maybe I'll never find out...

- Toralf