[CentOS] CentOS 5 takes one second holding each keyboard key until it shows.

Wed Aug 27 02:54:35 UTC 2014
Reinhard Dunkel <dunkel at sciencesoft.net>

I used CentOS 5 for years. Suddenly, it takes one second holding a
keyboard key until it shows on the screen:

# uname -a
Linux nitrogen 2.6.18-371.11.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Wed Jul 23 15:54:19 EDT
2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
# xset -q
Keyboard Control:
   auto repeat:  off    key click percent:  50    LED mask:  00000000
   auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                         fadfffdfffdfe5ef
                         ffffffffffffffff
                         ffffffffffffffff
   bell percent:  100    bell pitch:  800    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
   acceleration:  20/10    threshold:  2
Screen Saver:
   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
   timeout:  0    cycle:  600
Colors:
   default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
   unix/:7100,built-ins
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is enabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
   Standby: 0    Suspend: 1800    Off: 1800
   DPMS is Enabled
   Monitor is On
Font cache:
   Server does not have the FontCache Extension
File paths:
   Config file:  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
   Modules path: /usr/lib/xorg/modules
   Log file:     /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I copied the CentOS 5 /etc/X11/xorg.conf to CentOS 7 (on the same
computer) and rebooted - no effect. I copied the CentOS 7
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf to CentOS 5 and rebooted - no
effect. I tried different CentOS 5 xset settings, I tried an IBM Soft
Touch and a Logitech keyboard using different cabeling. What might
resolve this new one second delay for each CentOS 5 keyboard key? What
might have caused it?

ThanX