[CentOS] How to update MySQL with CentOS 6 in most unintrusive way - in regard to perl and PHP packages

Tue Aug 5 14:29:56 UTC 2014
Martin Božič <martin at b021c.si>

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 03:10:47PM +0200, Alexander Farber wrote:
>Dear fellow CentOS users,
>
>for my few hobby projects (web games + forums) I have been using CentOS 5
>(then 6) with Drupal and PostgreSQL plus few custom PHP and Perl scripts
>written by mysef.
>
>Since PostgreSQL version delivered with CentOS package has been a bit
>dated, I always used the PGDG packages:
>
>    # rpm -qa | grep -i pgdg
>
>    pgdg-centos93-9.3-1.noarch
>    postgresql93-9.3.5-1PGDG.rhel6.i686
>    postgresql93-libs-9.3.5-1PGDG.rhel6.i686
>    postgresql93-server-9.3.5-1PGDG.rhel6.i686
>
>As a web developer this has been a very pleasant experience, since (by some
>great magic) all the other CentOS packages (like php-pgsql and perl-DBD-Pg)
>just worked with the PGDG packages.
>
>Now I have decided to switch to WordPress for my new projects and am
>(sadly) forced to switch the database too:
>
>I have to use MySQL or MariaDB with CentOS 6.5.
>
>So my question is: if anybody can recommend a similarly comfortable package
>repository for MySQL/MariaDB - which wouldn't mess up any other CentOS
>packages and which would update itself (with "yum update").
>
>And please do not suggest something like Fedora or EPEL repositories,
>because other than for MySQL/MariaDB I would like not to add any additional
>packages to have my server as "stable" as possible.
>
>Thank you for any hints
>Alex

Hi Alex,

MariaDB itself has RHEL/CentOS repos:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/documentation/getting-started/getting-installing-and-upgrading-mariadb/mariadb-binary-packages/installing-mariadb-rpm-files/installing-mariadb-with-yum/

But you could limit EPEL repo to only include MariaDB packages and deps with
'includepkgs=' directive in the /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo config file, like

   [epel]
   ... default stuff ...
   includepkgs=MariaDB-* some-deps-package

See example here: