[CentOS] How to update MySQL with CentOS 6 in most unintrusive way - in regard to perl and PHP packages

Tue Aug 5 14:46:50 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I have decided to switch to WordPress for my new projects and am
> (sadly) forced to switch the database too:
>
> I have to use MySQL or MariaDB with CentOS 6.5.
>
> So my question is: if anybody can recommend a similarly comfortable package
> repository for MySQL/MariaDB - which wouldn't mess up any other CentOS
> packages and which would update itself (with "yum update").

If you are making changes, why not just move to CentOS7 which will
include reasonably current packages?

> And please do not suggest something like Fedora or EPEL repositories,
> because other than for MySQL/MariaDB I would like not to add any additional
> packages to have my server as "stable" as possible.

I wouldn't lump fedora and EPEL in the same sentence like that.
There is very little risk from adding packages from EPEL.  On the
other hand, because they have a policy of not overwriting base
packages, you won't find a newer mysql package there.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com