[CentOS] Fetchmail multiple instances increasing load average

Mon Dec 29 09:16:44 UTC 2014
Anshul Chauhan <chauhananshul at gmail.com>

Hi,

I’m running centos 5.7 with sendmail-8.13.8-8.1.el5_7,
fetchmail-6.3.6-4.el5 and procmail-3.22-17.1.el5.centos. My server is
having around 2000 mailboxes and this server used to fetch mails for all
these users using fetchmail from the other MX server. I’ve configured the
below cron job using webmin for downloading these mail

 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /etc/webmin/fetchmail/check.pl
--file /var/log/fetchmaillog.

But the load average for the server goes high automatically after every 4
to 5 hours due to multiple fetchmail instances and after that I’ve to
either kill all the fetchmail jobs or restart the server for making the
system up again.

Kindly suggest how can i reduce this load average issue or any other way
out for downloading the mails from the parent server running on sendmail
again.

Warm Regards,
Anshul Chauhan