[CentOS] OT hardware question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 31 22:09:13 UTC 2014

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/31/2014 11:55 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Hmmm... that $99 each camera gets expensive, fast.
>
> did I mention these are HD (1280x720) cams with decent low light
> sensitivity (but not IR nightvision)?     I didn't find any decent
> quality weatherproof PoE cameras with mounting hardware for much less
> than that.   and the way the whole AirVision software DVR operates is
> quite slick.   it autofinds and autoconfigures the cameras, all you need
> to do is name them and place them on a google map or floor plan graphic,
> then you can see where motion alerts are happening on that map and drill
> in to see whats happening
>
> I too prefer CentOS, but wouldn't mind setting up Ubuntu LTS or
> something for this dedicated task.   NFS export the video folder for
> your archive-n-scripting requirements.  all management is done via the
> web interface on the airvision server anyways.

a) We'd need several, for several rooms.
b) Don't care about weather at all - they're in locked rooms.
c) Don't care about low light - the lights in those rooms are on 24x7 for
the cameras.
d) They *do* need to be on the network, so we can back up the pictures and
videos to a server. That means they *must* be up to date on security.

      mark