[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Fri Jan 17 20:07:15 UTC 2014
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On 1/17/2014 12:11, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> Offering free RHEL would fracture and destroy several communities,
>
> I strongly disagree with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

I count 115 Debian/Ubuntu variants.  (Could be off by a few, since my
eyes started to cross there near the end.)  15 of those are directly
under the Ubuntu umbrella; apparently they feel the need to capture at
least a handful of these forks, to prevent their "community" from going
all to pieces.  That leaves a hundred non-official forks.

I count only 10 RHEL derivatives, plus RHEL itself.

If you throw in Fedora and its derivatives, then the total goes to 32,
which only goes to prove my (and Jim's) point: the more "open" Fedora
branch gets forked more often.

Anyway, if you want a wide-open Linux, Les, you know where to get it.