[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Fri Jan 17 20:33:06 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

> Anyway, if you want a wide-open Linux, Les, you know where to get it.

Sigh..., It's complicated.   I want stability and reliable security
updates. But I don't like  being dependent on any single entity to
provide that. Maybe that goes back to relying on some AT&T unix
systems in what seems like another life.   Even though semi-compatible
alternatives were available, being forced to change was somewhat
painful.   So I don't necessarily want wide-open, just a little more
open than being married.

I don't really think the CentOS team has an evil plan here, but they
should take it as a compliment that I think they are smart enough to
fool me if they did want to do something like inject a hidden backdoor
with their builds.  But, the bigger question is where it leaves us if
they just decide to quit after assimilating most of the related
systems under a build ecosystem that no one else can reproduce easily.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com