[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 01:50:21 UTC 2014

On Jul 7, 2014, at 6:34 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> No systemd in FreeBSD.  It isn't Linux, and like any O/S, has its own
> oddities.
>
> It would take more adjustment, IMHO, to go from CentOS 6.x to FreeBSD than
> to go to 7.x.  (I'm saying this as someone who uses both FreeBSD and
> Fedora which has given a hint of what we'll see in CentOS 7.)

That's a good point.  Systemd may be the "abomination of desolation" that
causes me to finally start moving to a BSD variant.  Or at least start looking at one.

And I chose the word "abomination" carefully and deliberately.  And I also chose
the Biblical allegory very deliberately.  Just as the "abomination of desolation" is
that which will portend the end of the world, systemd is the "abomination of desolation"
that will portend the beginnings of the destruction of the Linux most of us hold dear.

But that's not why I mentioned this... I'd never thought of BSDs before, but considering
heartbleed and how OpenBSD forked LibreSSL and is taking security very seriously,
it's actually something I am going to give a great deal of consideration to.

I've been a Linux admin for nearly 20 years now - I was around when it was 0.99 and
everyone was cheering about it being POSIX finally.  Maybe it's just time to move on.

--Russell