[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Veli-Pekka Kestilä centos at vpk.nu
Tue Jul 8 15:35:33 UTC 2014

On 8.7.2014 17:25, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> The problem firewalld tries to solve is that nowadays you often want to
>> insert temporary rules that should only be active while a certain
>> application is running. This collides a bit with the way iptables works.
>> For example libvirt inserts specific rules when you define networks for
>> virtualization dynamically. If you now do an iptables-save these rules
>> get saved and on next boot when these rules are restored the exist again
>> but now libvirt will add them dynamically a second time.
>>
>> Firewalld is simply a framework built around iptables that allows for
>> applications to "register" rules with additional information such as
> And so nothing like, say, fail2ban....
I haven't looked closely on firewalld yet, but in practice it should
probably allow making fail2ban functionality more robust and fail2ban
like functionality simpler to implement. Especially as I distinctly
remember of complaining of problems with fail2ban from Fedora list.
(Granted have has very little time lately to read any mailing lists)

-vpk