[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Andrew Wyatt andrew at fuduntu.org
Tue Jul 8 17:21:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Andrew Wyatt <andrew at fuduntu.org> wrote:
> > >>
> > This is an unfortunate problem in the community today, anyone who
> disagrees
> > with status-quo is "just an antique", it's insulting to say the least.
>  It
> > doesn't matter our experience, we're just "causing trouble" because we
> > "don't want change" which is an excuse that isn't even remotely true.
> >  Eventually when all these "old guys" leave, all that will be left are
> the
> > inexperienced kids and that's when the real problems will begin to
> surface.
>
> The people promoting change most like do not have a large installed
> base of their own complex programming to maintain or any staff to
> retrain.

They likely don't, if they did they would gain the experience to know
better.  Fortunately, we have CentOS 6 which still has a lot of life left
in it.

> >  There are a few good reasons to adopt systemd, but the bad outweigh the
> > good in my opinion.
>
> My opinion is that if a new system is really better, then it should be
> capable of handling everything the previous standard did
> transparently.   If it can't, then it's not really better.  It is just
> different.

I agree, completely.  Who would replace the hood of a car with half a hood?
 It might have really awesome flames painted on it, but at the end of the
day it's still half a hood.