[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 21:09:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> The only constant is change.

Sure, but it is only progress if you stop changing things when they work.

> Have you checked how compatible or not systemd is for the init scripts
> of the packages about which you care (such as OpenNMS)?

OpenNMS provides yum repositories.  When they add the EL7 repo, I'll
expect it to include something that already works.  So that's not my
problem but will likely waste someone else's time if the existing init
script doesn't drop in. I'll just need to make things work for the
internal programs, some of which are done by developers that would
really rather stay on windows.

>> Did you keep track of the time you spent keeping [desktop RHL 5.x] working?
>>
> My employer put a line item on my timesheet for it, so, yes, I kept
> track of it and got paid for it.  Those paper files have long since been
> tossed, since that was fifteen-plus years ago.  My employer was paying
> me to keep the server up, I had an employer who understood the value of
> training, and that employer definitely understood the value of dogfooding.

Still you must have come up with some bottom line recommendations.
Did your employer make all or some large number of staff follow your
lead back then on desktop versions/updates after seeing what it costs?
  Personally, I gave up on the hardware aspect of a linux desktop as
soon as I saw freenx working from windows/macs where vendor-optimized
video drivers come with the distribution.   And then having access to
both Linux and native desktop programs I've tended to ignore the
problems with linux desktop apps.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com