[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Grant Street grants at al.com.au
Thu Jul 10 03:45:04 UTC 2014

On 10/07/14 07:09, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> Did you keep track of the time you spent keeping [desktop RHL 5.x] working?
>
>> My employer put a line item on my timesheet for it, so, yes, I kept
>> track of it and got paid for it.  Those paper files have long since been
>> tossed, since that was fifteen-plus years ago.  My employer was paying
>> me to keep the server up, I had an employer who understood the value of
>> training, and that employer definitely understood the value of dogfooding.
> Still you must have come up with some bottom line recommendations.
> Did your employer make all or some large number of staff follow your
> lead back then on desktop versions/updates after seeing what it costs?
>    Personally, I gave up on the hardware aspect of a linux desktop as
> soon as I saw freenx working from windows/macs where vendor-optimized
> video drivers come with the distribution.   And then having access to
> both Linux and native desktop programs I've tended to ignore the
> problems with linux desktop apps.

We use a large number of Linux desktops extensively and have since 5.2.
For our applications and workflows, this was quicker and more feature rich.
We use the same platform in a HPC scenario as well, so (Desktop) Linux
is dependent on your needs.

I can sympathize with you that you are upset about systemd. CentOS, RH,
Fedora or Linux is not stopping you from being involved or finding a
solution to your problem with systemd.  Here are some examples of the
way you and others could give back to the community and help others that
believe the same as you.
1. Engage with the community of the early Open Source version of RHEL ie
Fedora.
2. Submit patches, rpms etc as alternatives to systemd for inclusion in
Fedora. RH may include it in RHEL as an optional install.
3. Submit a bugzilla on sytsemd itemizing and describing the deficiencies.
4. Purchase Support and or services from RH and create a case with
business justification.
5. Create a fork of CentOS7 that does not have systemd.
6. Create a fork of CentOS6 that has future features/bugs backported
from Centos7
7. Financially support someone/people to do any of the above if you
can't do it yourself.

As you can see there are lots of options with open source software. I am
sure there are others I have missed. I hope that helps you find a
solution to your problem.

Grant