[CentOS] Command Line Commands Aren't Working.....

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 04:48:26 UTC 2014

On 07/13/2014 10:07 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:09:55PM -0400, EGO-II.1 wrote:
>> Ok so I've gone ahead and gotten CentOS to install to a Unetbootin USB,
>> but when I go to install it from there and get the usual command prompt,
>> I try to get a GUI by going "startx"...but I get an error that says
>> "startx: command not found" How do I get the GUI to install from the
>> Live usb? (Mind you I chose the netinstall since it was smaller!) I have
>> tried everything I know...but cannot seem to get the GUI to come up.
>> (This also includes the "yum groupinstall "Desktop environment" command
>> which I’m told is ALSO not found!...what gives?) any advice or help
>> anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!
> Sounds as if you didn't select what class of system to install, or
> chose one without a graphical desktop when you were in the installer.

Well it's like I had said before.....when the USB boots up, it doesn't
give me any type of real options except to install the OS....or "Test"
the media and THEN install the os. when I select "Install the OS" it
automatically scrolls through a whole lot of lines of code and things
its doing...and then "drops" me to the "#" command prompt. Maybe I'll
download the CD/DVD iso and try again with the LiveUSB creator. Thanks
again one and all for your insightful and helpful comments and advice.
(Will definitely be KEEPING the links sent!...for future reference!
since I plan on introducing this OS to my company for "server" usage!)

Cheers!

EGO II