[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jul 15 17:25:58 UTC 2014

On 7/15/2014 10:00 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> So what is the advantage of systemd?  I accept we have to use it in C7,
> but how is systemd going to improve the usability and reliability of
> Centos ?

the big thing with any of these new service managers (I'm more familiar
with Solaris SMF than systemd, but I believe it does the same thing), is
that it determines whether the service properly starts and tracks
service dependencies.    sysVinit style services could only be sequenced
(start all lower numbered services before starting this one) and it had
to wait for each service to start before going onto the next, while SMF
and presumably systemd will start multiple services in parallel as long
as they aren't dependent.    also, SMF at least detects when a service
fails/stops, and attempts to take corrective action per how that service
is configured