[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 12:35:16 UTC 2014
David Both <dboth at millennium-technology.com>

I still prefer IPTables, so in Fedora I simply disabled firewalld and enabled
IPTables. No need to uninstall. I have read that IPTables will continue to be
available alongside firewalld for the unspecified future.

Note that IPTables rule syntax and structure have evolved so your ruleset may
need to be updated. I did find that the current version of IPTables will
actually convert old rulesets on the fly, at least as far as the syntax of the
individual rules is concerned. From there you can simply use iptables-save to
save the converted ruleset.

One of the items on my tudo list is to learn firewalld. The switch from ipchains
took a bit of learning and I expect this switch will as well.

One of the stated reasons for firewalld is that dynamic rule changes do not
clear the old rules before loading the new ones, to paraphrase, "where IPTables
does." If true, that would leave a very small amount of time in which the host
would be vulnerable. I have no desire to peruse the source code to determine the
veracity of that statement, so if there is someone here who could verify that
changing the rules in IPTables, whether using the iptables command or the
iptables-restore command, I would be very appreciative. No need to go to any
trouble to locate that answer as I am merely curious.

Thanks!