[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 12:00:23 UTC 2014
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 08.07.2014 09:12, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 07/08/2014 03:41 AM, Always Learning wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 21:34 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
>>
>>> No systemd in FreeBSD.  It isn't Linux, and like any O/S, has its own
>>> oddities.
>>>
>>> It would take more adjustment, IMHO, to go from CentOS 6.x to FreeBSD than
>>> to go to 7.x.  (I'm saying this as someone who uses both FreeBSD and
>>> Fedora which has given a hint of what we'll see in CentOS 7.)
>>
>> Thanks. I've deployed C 5.10 and C 6.5. Thought I'll play with C 7.
>>
>> I notice, from http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7, the
>> apparent replacement of IPtables by firewalld
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD
>>

> Check "Static_Firewall" Chapter:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD#Static_Firewall_.28system-config-firewall.2Flokkit.29
>
> and one below it. You can have iptables rules and also rules from
> system-config-firewall

If you want to avoid firewalld for now you can uninstall it and instead
install the iptables-services package. This replaces the old init
scripts and provides an "iptables" systemd unit file that starts and
stops iptables and if you require the old "service iptables save"
command you can reach that using "/usr/libexec/iptables/iptables.init".

Also if you want to keep NetworkManager on a Server you can install the
NetworkManager-config-server package. This only contains a config chunk
with two settings:
no-auto-default=*
ignore-carrier=*

With this package installed you get a more traditional handling of the
network. Interfaces don't get shutdown when the cable is pulled, no
automatic configuration of unconfigured interfaces and no automatic
reload of configuration files (the last one doesn't require the package
and is now the NetworkManager default behaviour).

Regards,
  Dennis