[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 13:14:15 UTC 2014
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 08.07.2014 14:58, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> On 07/08/2014 04:22 AM, Always Learning wrote:

>>> So you are following the thread on the Fedora list?  I have been
>>> ignoring it.
>>
>> No. I read some of
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_topic&q=systemd
>>
>> The systemd proponent, advocate and chief developer? wants to
>> abolish /etc and /var in favour of having the /etc and /var data
>> in /usr.
> err.. what? even on that wild fedora thread this did not come up!!!
>
> i will presume that you understood well your information source and you
> are actually know what you are referring to ... so, could you elaborate
> more about this?(with some references)
> i use systemd for some time (and i keep myslef informed about it) and i
> would need to know in time about this kind of change..

There are no plans to "abolish" /etc and /var.

The idea is that rather than say proftpd shipping a default config file
/etc/proftpd.conf that you then have to edit for you needs instead it
will ship the default config somewhere in /usr and let the config in
/etc override the one in /usr. That way if you want to "factory reset"
the system you can basically clear out /etc and you are back do the
defaults. The same applies to /var.
The idea is that /etc and /var become "site-local" directories that only
contain the config you actually changed from the defaults for this system.

Since you already have experience with systemd you are already familiar
with this system where it stores its unit files in /usr/lib/systemd and
if you want to change some of them you copy them to /etc/systemd and
change them there. Same principle.

/etc and /var will stay as valid as ever though and are not being
"abolished".

Regards,
  Dennis