[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 13:53:07 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 08/07/14 14:14, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 08.07.2014 14:58, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:

>>> No. I read some of
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_topic&q=systemd
>>>
>>> The systemd proponent, advocate and chief developer? wants to
>>> abolish /etc and /var in favour of having the /etc and /var data
>>> in /usr.
>> err.. what? even on that wild fedora thread this did not come up!!!
>>
>> i will presume that you understood well your information source and you
>> are actually know what you are referring to ... so, could you elaborate
>> more about this?(with some references)
>> i use systemd for some time (and i keep myslef informed about it) and i
>> would need to know in time about this kind of change..
>
> There are no plans to "abolish" /etc and /var.
>
> The idea is that rather than say proftpd shipping a default config file
> /etc/proftpd.conf that you then have to edit for you needs instead it
> will ship the default config somewhere in /usr and let the config in
> /etc override the one in /usr. That way if you want to "factory reset"
> the system you can basically clear out /etc and you are back do the
> defaults. The same applies to /var.
> The idea is that /etc and /var become "site-local" directories that only
> contain the config you actually changed from the defaults for this system.
>
> Since you already have experience with systemd you are already familiar
> with this system where it stores its unit files in /usr/lib/systemd and
> if you want to change some of them you copy them to /etc/systemd and
> change them there. Same principle.
>
> /etc and /var will stay as valid as ever though and are not being
> "abolished".

That's not always true.

Some configs that were under /etc on el6 must now reside under /usr on el7.

Take modprobe blacklists for example.

On el5 and el6 they are in /etc/modprobe.d/

On el7 they need to be in /usr/lib/modprobe.d/

If you install modprobe blacklists to the old location under el7 they
will not work.

I'm sure there are other examples, this is just one example I've
happened to run into.